Tuesday, November 16, 2010

The greatest tool learnt -- LEARNING

DISCLAIMER: I did read the rubrics and I know this post doesn't follow the rubrics. However, since this is the last post, I really want to share something more personal that I have truly learnt from this module. Hope it's all right. =)


The first thing that I must say about ES2007S is that it's one of the most special module I've taken in NUS. Apart from MANY communication skillsets and some corporate related skills that we've learnt in this module, to me, the module has taught me something precious that I have not expected when I registered for this module—learning.


Discipline in learning

Lesson Learnt: Ok, it's the end of the module, I'll just confess it! I really DISLIKE blogging, especially the part which we need to comment on other people's blogs. Since young, I have problems in expressing my personal thought/opinions in a coherent and logical manner through writing. To show you just how bad I am with writing -- the only 2 Arts module that I've ever taken in NUS were both S/U-ed (after hard work) due to the unbearable result. Business proposals and technical reports are fine, but not stories, reflections or anything close to that. Usually, the thoughts and opinions came in an entangled and messy form and it takes me great effort to re-arrange my thoughts before presenting them.

Blogs and blog comments were great pain. Every blog took me an average of 3 hours. 250 words for 3 hours? I think I was just retarded. Zig Ziglar said that "It was character that got us out of bed (and start blogging), commitment that moved us into action, and discipline that enabled us to follow through." It's very true for me. The weekends before with blogging assignments were stress-filled. Nevertheless, because of the 3 hours of hard work each time, I am getting better at processing my thoughts and ideas now. All in all, I've learnt through this blogging journey that -- in order to learn your hardest lesson, only two things are required— complete willingness and great discipline.

Action Step: Well, though I did posted my blogs, I didn't synthesize much comments on most of your blogs. Truthfully speaking, I always found myself reading through the blog posts for 2 – 3 rounds, but just still can't find things to comment about. It usually just ended up with me closing the browser and tell myself that I will do it tomorrow. Well, tomorrow never came...even the 20% assessment on blogs and can't launch me into action. However, as I was thinking hard about writing this blog, a reflection on Ziglar's quote told me that it's time to get out of bed again! So, I decided that I should be committed to comment on your blogs if I want to learn how to. So, expect some overdue comments on your blogs soon. It might not be too useful, but well, let's just say that it's more for my benefits than yours...


Learning through different modes

Lesson Learnt: During my 3.5 years of learning experience in NUS, many lessons (academic, technical, skills) that I've learnt came from downloading information from lectures, tutorials, books, articles, etc. During ES2007S lesson, I'm learning new things through a whole new way! During our classes, I experienced learning through:

  • Experience: mock-interview, elevator test, spontaneous presentations.
  • Conversation: through some of the conversations and discussions we have during the class, I learnt about new concepts and find these concepts much more memorable than those learnt through lectures.
  • Group project: projects in many of the modules are platforms for apply our knowledge, but not for learning. However, in both the peer-teaching and research project, I realized that I've learnt much more than I've actually applied my knowledge. I gained much insights on the area of my research, the way to do certain things, etc.
  • Observation: the opportunities to observe each other doing presentation helps me to learn many new things about presentation.
  • De-briefing and peer reviews: Something that I really appreciate about our lessons is that learning took place not only through the experience itself. If you can re-call, for every assignment, Brad will have a de-brief session with the class. This helped to enhanced the whole learning experience by consolidating the learning points. Besides, receiving feedbacks from each other helped me to process my own thoughts as well.

I was aware of these different learning platforms since long time ago but have not internalised them personally. Although I experienced these activities before, but those were rather dull and formal and therefore it didn't occur to me that I can learn through these platforms. Besides, I guessed the mono-directional learning experience in the last 3 years had more or less crossed out these learning modes from my learning journey. The turning point came when I took ES2007S. In the lessons, we were engaged to learn through these platforms in a very casual and fun way. I am truly grateful that I have learnt how to learn through these multiple modes.

Action step: My learning experience in ES2007S is a "proof-of-concept" to convince myself that learning can take place in so many ways. Having to learnt this, I shall now more intentionally engage in learning through these modes and activities, so that I can enhance my learning capacity and not discount myself from any opportunity to learn!

This is a LONGGGGGGGGGGG post. I hope you've enjoy reading it. To sum it up, ES2007S opened up a whole new window in my journey of learning. ES2007S has equipped me with the most important skill in the marketplace -- LEARNING. I am really grateful that I took it before my graduation and I am much better in learning than I was before!

Last but not least, I am very grateful to be in the class with all you folks! You guys make the class so noisy and fun! You guys rock my socks off!!!


P/S: I started writing this on Sunday morning...but only completed it on Tuesday night =_=!

15 comments:

  1. Wow... 2 and a half days is really a long time… but like you’ve mentioned, a little discipline and a little more hard work makes all the difference in the world. I think that even though your post is not at all concise (like my last post also =D) you have very comprehensively detailed all that you have learnt, felt and gone through during the course of this module.

    You expressed great pain and frustrations when describing your blogging experience and I can relate to that. This is my first blog, so the whole concept of blogging is completely alien to me. I also found myself pondering what to write during the first blog post. After a while you’ll get the hang of it.

    The teaching method of this module is also something that you’ve pointed out as different. I think that this is a good thing as it also provides a break for us from the usual lecture tutorial rotation we get at engine. I have always believed that experience is the best teacher anyone can have and this module has demonstrated exactly that. Moreover it was also fun which made it more enjoyable.

    All the best in your future endeavors… cheers!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi YC,

    Thanks for the effort/time spent in putting up your 'final' reflections. You have even done bulleting to make your thoughts clearer. You really detailed what you've learnt and the good learning pointers from ES2007S. I think you've always been an active participant in our class discussions. :D I face the same problem about blogging, in that I found it difficult to pen down all my thoughts in a structured manner. It was like fishing 'ABC's from a pond of alphabets. But I've managed to better structure my thoughts and so have you. Also, I've always thought that blogging was an avenue for ranting, but I think otherwise now. You can hold an intellectual discussion through blogging. Like Daniel said, it gets better through practice, and you are on your way!

    It's also a pleasure working with you in our peer teaching assignment. Although the time we spent in meetings is rather brief because we faced time constraints, but the short process was memorable as well. I have learnt observed how you do things and it is always executed in a professional manner. Hope to catch you around school (Spinellia@Uni Hall ?), Engine ST! Take care and take heart! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. and of all the things they teach in school they dont ever teach us how to learn yah.. interesting dont you think.. they assume we know and just keep stuffing infomation down our throats.. hmmm.. something to think about.. haha..

    ReplyDelete
  4. and again steph posts after me.. =D oh im good... hahaa...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seriously, YC, unbearable grades being B+/A-? I know of some of my friends who S/Ued a subject because they obtained A- grade. Apparently they didn’t want to smear their A/A+ streak.

    YC, writing blog post is like wooing women. The more sophisticated the lady, the more time and energy needed. Same goes to blogging. The harder the topic, the more effort and time you need to spent to ‘make the deal’. And different lady/topic, requires different approach. Sooner than you think, you will be able to churn out quality concise blog post within minutes. Ask Brad.

    (yea, Zig rox!)

    I totally emphatise with your doing of closing the browser and not posting any comments at the end of the day.

    And Steph, why do you always post after Daniel!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi YC,

    I really appreciate this honest post. Don't sell yourself short, I think your writing is fine. You don't seem to have a problem with communicating verbally. So perhaps, what you can do is try writing what you want to express in a conversational manner. Like what you would say when you talk to someone. Then, go back and EDIT what you wrote so that the language is more formal and professional. That is what I learnt from my 1st blog post. Brad commented that what I wrote was too conversational, so I learnt to tone that down in my "professional writing". This method works for me. But I'm sure there are many other methods out there.

    I also face the same problem sometimes - having the difficulty in commenting. Leaving a constructive comment is harder than it seems. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi everyone,

    I'm shocked that some of you also have problems with blogging and commenting on blogs! Thanks for all your advices and suggestions. The next time when I blog, I will remember all your "recipes"...

    @Daniel, maybe they figure that learning is natural and doesn't need to be taught?

    @Stephanie, thanks for the encouragement. You are always so sweet and gentle in spirit. I enjoyed working with you too! Your diligence, flexibility and humble attitude really encourage me. By the way, some engine and arts girls are starting this module called LL1101 (LL stands for ladies like) taught by Li Min (if you know her). Perhaps you be the lecturer for this module! haha... Yea, see you very soon in Spinelli, Steph!

    @Yong Xin, do I seriously look like a Dean's list material??? I will be more than happy to embrace A-/B+ for any module... but well, it's never happened for arts module. I am taking another arts module AGAIN (SS) =(. Let's hope that I don't have to S/U it. I'm just not born for writing. =(

    @May, Thanks for the advice. I can do lots of babbling with all the good points inside, but I just can't arrange them properly unless I really sit down and force myself to do it. Anyway, good idea, perhaps I should try your method next time and see how it works out!

    All the best for your papers everyone.

    YC

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey YC,

    You are already a presentation expert before the course with all the practice you have in your previous modules, so yup, like May say, "Don't sell yourself short!". Through our project, I really learn a lot about presentation from you. A lot of things which I always thought was not possible. Thanks for all the guidance and help.

    In terms of written work, I think you are doing real well. With no formal education in English, I am really impress with the way you write. In fact, your vocab is very extensive. Your blog posts have reflected your writing skills and comments prove it all. Maybe May's advice is something you can take note on. I am no good writer myself but I believe the best way to learn writing is to write, write and write. Continue writing in this blog! =D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey yongchean,
    I do find blogging time consuming and nerve wrecking, but here's my motivation for blogging. Personally I write alot of journals with regards to my own thoughts. What I have realised is, the better I can express my thoughts, the more I can experience out of life. Maybe it sounds a little cheesy, but it's very true for me. Words guide our actions and how we feel to a huge extent. Afterall, we use words to formulate thoughts, and thoughts give birth to any actions and experience we have in life. The clearer and the more specific I can express an idea to myself or others, the greater the effect of the experience. As an example, there's a difference between 'yeah!' and 'hell yeah!'. I guess that's the effect of words, it can intensify emotions or actions that we experience on a daily basis, and I use writing to expand my expressive ability.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Wei Ping, I write alot of journals too, but those are just for my own reference.Somehow, it's very different, because in journal, I will just write whatever thoughts that come to my mind and don't really spend time to organise them. However, what you said is right. Perhaps, I should really work on my writing skills. It's something that I've been trying to avoid as much as I could in NUS...let's just say that I was "tricked" into ES2007S, but I am glad that it happened. =)

    @Stanley, no problem. Haha, when you are in year 4, you will be passing down your skills to another person..so PASS IT ON! Actually presentation skills are self-learnt, most of the times, I was forced to do it. Knowing that you have no room for failure, you'll just have to learn real quick and be daring to give it a try. So, throw yourself into the sea (or swimming pool), then you will start to swim...haha...
    Working with you have been fun too, you are the kind of team-mate everyone wants in their project group, seriously... I don't meet people like you in my whole course of project works in NUS...haha
    Thanks a lot for your encouragement, it's true that language (English) is something that I really struggled, but through this couse, I think I've really had some breakthroughs in it!

    YC

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Yong Chean,

    I don't know what aspect of the rubric you're referring to in your initial paragraph since I see this as a very fine reflection post. You do a great job of organizing your thoughts, elaborating with specific details and including honest reflection. You've captured many essential elements of the course experience.

    As for your work for the course at large and blogging in particular, you have managed to contribute in so many ways, whether pointed comments in class, input into group projects, or quality blog posts. I would guess that one of the reasons it takes you so long to write a blog post is because your personal standard for excellence is quite high. Ok, so maybe you've not made the most concise post in the world for this last assignment, but the content is most excellent.

    Thanks for all your efforts, Yong Chean, and best wishes in the future

    ReplyDelete
  13. yea, I totally concur with Stanley.
    I think your writing is good!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Brad, and Yong Xin for your complement and encouragement. I am always very thankful for encouraging folks like you guys, to celebrate and affirm every little steps that I've made. I don't take it for granted, and am really appreciative about it!

    I agree that I have a high standard for everything that I do. However, my writing is far away from what I hope to attain even though I tried really hard. All my close friends know that once there's an essay deadline coming up for me, it's time to show me some TLC. haha..

    I think I really should continue writing. At first I thought after this module, I will escape from this kind of writing forever. However, if that's one weakness that I have, it's stupidity to blatantly ignore it. So, yup, I will work on this and try my best to make this blog alive! =D

    Thanks again, people!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Yong Chean,

    first of all hor, I think you write well. You have concrete details, completeness and your posts are very clear. I know what you are saying! And the thing is, you always draw it from some sort of real-life experience you've had (which seems like a lot!!). It is not that your style is not personal, it is personal in a different kind of way. You share mostly your thoughts, whilst others (like me) share mostly my feelings. And thoughts can be as personal as feelings. Also, thoughts can generate more intellectual discussion (I feel). This is one area which I can learn from you! So your blog entries give a new and fresh perspective (somewhat like Yong Xin's in its honesty). So keep going on please! :)) P.S. You haven't seen my another side of midnight YC!! Wait til you hang out with me more (which I hope we'll have the chance to! With May as well..) but thank you for your very nice compliments :)). I don't know Li Min, but Ladies Like 1101. Sounds cool I don't mind signing up for it, but no, I cannot be the lecturer. I don't even know what the 'module' is abt! Haha! Tell me about it :D

    ReplyDelete