Sunday, August 22, 2010

Why effective communication is important for me?

"Communication is the real work of leadership." - Nitin Nohria-

Having the opportunities to take up different leadership roles in various settings, I can't agree more with the quote above. The major responsibilities of a leader include vision casting, task delegation, external liaison, etc. All these are mainly done through communication; however, it's not an easy task. Let me illustrate my point through some examples.

In delegating tasks, if one is too assertive, his/her team-mate may felt that he/she is forced to do it. If too gentle, he/she may not take it seriously. In confronting problematic team-mates, strict comments may cause people to feel condemned; however, weak confrontation with too much encouragement will not be effective in addressing the issues either.

Apart from handling internal matters, a leader is also a spoke-person representing his/her organisation. In liaison with external parties, e-mail etiquette is important to portray a professional image of the organisation. During different networking settings, simple gestures such as firm handshakes and smiles, body postures and tone of speech are critical to make a good impression.

Above are some of the aspects of communication that I struggled through the most in my journey in growing as a leader. Through these encounters I learnt that effective communication is a very critical criteria for effective leadership. This is why I take up this module to work on my communication skills, so that I can be a better communicator, and thus, a better leader.

4 comments:

  1. A better communicator, and a better leader.
    Well said!
    I tend to believe that in leadership, good communication outweighs charisma and proficiency. Clear instructions, convincing persuasion and inspiring speeches are all based on good communication. Of course, non-verbal messages are important as well. Leading by example, to inspire the others to do the same, is a classical example. Sometimes leaders sacrifice for their commitments; Often, it can inspire others to follow, especially when they see that the leader is truly serious about accomplishing the mission.

    I wish you all the best in your endeavour and see you soon!(very soon indeed)

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Young Chean,

    This is a very well-organized short essay on the connection between leadership and effective communication. I really appreciate the focus of your first paragraph, your obvious thesis and reference to the quote (which could be included in the paragraph itself). You make a fairly strong case for that connection between leadership and effective skills, although an anecdote or two to illustrate your supporting points would make this case even stronger.

    By the way, what about vision casting?

    There are a few language issues I'd like you to consider:

    1) may felt >>> ?

    2) a spoke-person >>> a spokesperson

    3) condemned >>> ?

    4) weak confrontation >>> ?

    5) I struggled >>> I have struggled (Do you know why?)

    6) I learnt... >>> I have learnt...

    7) Having the opportunities... >>> Having had the opportunity...

    Thanks for the fine effort!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey Yong Chean
    come to think of it, its true a leader has to be weary of how he communicates to others especially since kindness can so easily be mistaken as weakness. I suppose that's where we learn be it from others or from experience.
    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI Yong Chean, I can fully relate to the 2nd paragraph because I have often asked myself the same questions and whilst I come up with many possible logical responses, there is nothing like a real-life situation to test it out. Like Daniel said, kindness/humility can so often be mistaken for weakness (a sad truth!) and used as a leverage for others to take advantage of. So i think it's so important to be firm. Firm, yet kind ? How hard is that! All the best, Im learning too.

    ReplyDelete